October 30, 2021
$89 | Single-Day Webinar
Ready to start revising your novel?
Congratulations! You have a first draft.
You may have heard that “most of writing is rewriting,” and it is all too true. In this two-and-a-half-hour webinar we’ll discuss strategies for planning (and following through on) the next draft.
Step one is creating a realistic writing schedule that you can commit to. The next step is taking a dispassionate look at what you have right now.
We’ll move on to an overview of the main challenges of the novel. What makes for a compelling main character, and a gripping plot? (It’s a myth that a literary novel doesn’t need a gripping plot.) What are the roles of secondary characters, and subplots? We’ll also touch on issues of point of view and scene vs. narration.
We’ll have a substantial Q & A session, during which we can discuss individual issues.
Learning and Writing Goals
By the end of this webinar, you will have learned and crafted:
- The fundamentals of plotting.
- What makes a strong main character.
- The role of secondary characters.
- Recommended readings on craft.
- Both a short-term and long-term writing schedule you can commit to.
- An initial assessment of the strengths and areas of improvement for your first draft.
- Ideas for your next draft.
This webinar runs on Zoom from 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM Eastern time. The schedule is as follows:
- 15 minutes: Introduction to revising the novel.
- 30 minutes: Crafting both a short-term and long-term plan for editing your novel.
- 30 minutes: Lecture on the various aspects of writing and editing novels.
- 30 minutes: An assessment of the strengths and areas of improvement for your characters and plot.
- 30-45 minutes: Q & A about the various aspects of novel revisions.
Expect in-depth instruction and lively discussion.
Get started revising that novel. Enroll today!
Learn more about how our courses work here, and contact us with any other questions.
Student Feedback for Instructor Donna Levin
I really appreciated the Zoom calls that Donna mediated in this class—we could share ideas and feedback in real time and in a more personal way. Donna was always quick with feedback that was both constructive and encouraging. Having weekly deadlines made all the difference for moving my book forward. Andrea Gust
Donna Levin is a gifted teacher. As funny as she is smart, she will captivate and keep you going. One of my favorite writing instructors, I credit her with helping me finish my first novel and for encouraging me in those that followed. Take her class! Terry Gamble, author of The Water Dancers, Good Family, and The Eulogist
Donna is inspiring and knowledgeable about writing craft. This class will fulfill its promise! Carol Park
I took several classes from Donna while writing my first novel, a book that was ultimately selected for three best of the year lists. She was instrumental in the development of a publishable manuscript, helping me with characterization, plot and pacing. Her critiques are sensitive, insightful—and motivating. If you are high-centered on the rocky road to finishing your novel, you can do no better than to study with Donna. Mark Coggins, award-winning author of the August Riordan series