Graphic Novel Writing Bootcamp
with Cristian Aluas
October 27, 2022 | Single-Day Webinar |
The aim of this workshop is to write and complete an 8-page short story in the graphic novel format, ready to be illustrated by you or someone else. You don’t need to know how to draw for this workshop, beyond basic composition, to visualize how the final art might affect readers.
- Graphic novel storytelling techniques, including consideration for the comic book and manga mediums.
- How to choose the right artist for your story (if you’re not the artist).
- How to describe what the artist should draw.
- How to script and format a short comic book story in a way that impacts the reader.
- Thumbnailing and sketching ideas for graphic novel writers.
- How to pace your story, fast and slow, and how to disperse plot points and when.
- When to use big panels, close-ups, far shots, dutch angles etc,, or small panels in sequence.
- The language to describe the above on the final page that will be illustrated.
Discover all this and more, in this intensive and fun comics writing bootcamp, on the road to completing an 8-page script in the genre of your choice.
This workshop meets from 6:00 to 10:00 P.M. U.S. Eastern Time.
0:00 to 0:15: Instructor and students intro and genres they like
0:15 to 0:45: Principles of comic book storytelling (3 part story arch stretched into 8 pages)
0:45 to 1:00: Student outline of their stories (with logline)
1:00 to 1:30: Thumbnailing, composition principles, pacing, panel sizing and their meaning, and timing
1:30 to 1:45: Students sketching scenes/panels/thumbnails from their story
1:45 to 2:00: Show-and-tell of student sketches and Q&A
2:00 to 2:15: Break
2:15 to 2:30: Explaining comic script formatting
2:30 to 3:00: Student writing session
3:00 to 3:15: Q&A of challenges along the way
3:15 to 3:45: Student writing session
3:45 to 4:00: General discussion, Q&A, and wrap-up